Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Gymnastics

In an attempt to give the kids some extra fun during the week, I decided to enroll them in some activities at the local YMCA.  This was their second week of the "Rolling Rascals" gymnastics class.  Its geared for kids 18 months to 3 years, so I was able to get them both in a class together.  Maddy could probably do the next group up, but I only have so many hands and too many kids...lol.  Aaron comes along too.  Fortunately he's napped in the stroller both times.  The class is supposed to be more of a parent-child interaction, too, so having both kids makes it challenging.  However, we are the only ones who have come to the Thursday morning class (all the other enrollees do the Tuesday morning one), so I can kind of bounce between the two kids or just let Tommy play on whatever if Maddy wants more attention.  (Tuesdays we try to make playdates with the resident spouse group.)The drawback to it being just us is that they aren't getting some of the formal/group turn-taking and social stuff I was hoping it might reinforce.  That's okay, though.  I think this set up is good for us as we are now.

When we arrive, the kids go through the same routine.  First, a CD with different tunes to which you either, run, hop, tip toe, etc around the red square.  Initially, you are told what to do, then the second time you have to remember what activity goes with each tune...and the music kind of sounds like what you do (a xylophone to tip toe, cowboy music for the gallop, and so on).  Then we do some stretching with really cute child-friendly directions (make a "butterfly" with your feet together in front of you and then make it "fly" as you stretch).  Next is a water break as the teacher sets up the stations around the room.  We try and do 3 circuits.  At the end, the kids get some play time in the ball pit and on some other play equipment.  Last, they get a sticker or two.  Maddy LOVES it.  Tommy is happy to run around pretty much anywhere.

Because there was just us again today and Maddy is old enough, the teacher, Ms. Cassie, tried some more advanced stuff with her that they typically introduce in the next class up.  Its nothing super fancy, but I was proud of Maddy!  Maddy has no problems with somersaults, so we tried to do some back rolls/flips down a wedge. She isn't quite there, but did a really great job!  The other really neat thing was the monkey bar (I don't know what it's really called...its like a single bar from the uneven bars).  She taught Maddy how to do what she called "monkey toes."  Basically, Maddy was hanging from the bar and then brought her feet up on either side of her hands and was hanging by her hands and toes and swung a bit!!! I was so proud of her for trying it and then doing so well her very first time!    Ms. Cassie suggested I move Maddy to the other class, but I can't do that with all 3 in tow.  This YMCA has childcare but you have to be a member and they only take babies 6 months and up.  If this class is a overall success, I might consider joining in the Spring.  That way they can do separate classes.  I can put the other 2 in the childcare and really have some good one-on-one time with whoever has class.  Additionally, I can put all THREE in and start getting some exercise and me time...woo hoo to that possibility of that!  The Y is about a 7 minute drive, too, so that is more incentive to take advantage of it.  Again, we'll see.  This session goes until October 22.  I'm hoping that we can make it work in the Spring!

And, of course, given that I am monitoring one child and chasing after the other two, snapping pictures is kind of tough.  I did snap 2 last week, but none while there today.  Here's what I've got:


Maddy during the free play at the end.  This is the preschool gymnastics room. That red wedge is what she does her somersaults and back flips down.  The red and blue slide in the back is currently. Tommy's favorite station. Against the back mirrored wall is a balance beam that Maddy walks across while doing toe kicks; she really likes that one, too.



I think Tommy would just hang out in the ball pit the entire 45 minutes if we let him. :)

This is from this morning as we were getting ready to leave (boo for the blurriness).


Maddy was very excited about this special "gymnastics outfit."  She still fits in these 24 month leggings...lol.  T-shirt is a 3-T that we finally pulled out of the "for later/too big" drawer.  (Thanks Grandma Rapacz!)


No comments:

Post a Comment