Maddy decided Tommy needed a toy or two to keep him occupied while we were eating dinner...evidently, she wanted to make sure there were no interruptions. LOL :)
Tommy had his 6 month check up on Tuesday...although, he is now 6 1/2 months old. ;o) He has slowed down on the weight gain and is now in the 55th percentile (down from 92nd!), but is getting longer (27 inches-75th%). As Lance and I knew, he is on the slow side of average for his motor skills. He is just finally getting the rolling started, but is much more proficient with rolling onto his tummy than going from tummy to back. He bears weight and stands well, though, and can stand next to the couch or something if you put him there. Everything else is good! This week has also brought the introduction of baby food. He was NOT a fan of bananas...but that stuff tastes funky to me, too. I think it's because they add ascorbic acid to the bananas to keep them from browning. Today, we did squash, and he loved it! He didn't finish the jar, but ate far more than I expected for our first go-around!
Lance is about halfway through his Emergency Medicine rotation. It has been a good experience thus far. The best part of it has been the schedule. It is all shift work, so he's had so much more free time, inclusive of week days, which has allowed for so much. We've been able to take care of "business hours" stuff that he usually can't get to, he's been able to go with Maddy to the library, and just spend time with us bumming around town. Even still, it isn't necessarily calling to him as a potential specialty, which is fine with me. It has been a nice change from his last rotation, which had him gone for a nearly days at a time. He has a break coming up after this in which he will have to study for his next big exam towards licensing.
I haven't talked much about my stuff lately. I've had some things with my program that have been in transition...for instance, I was supposed to be enrolled this summer, but ended up not doing so. Long story short, I will be returning this fall to complete my final internship...which is a full-time gig. In addition, I will be working. I'll be doing the same thing I did in Jacksonville--working as Speech/Language Pathologist in a public school, so it's nothing too crazy. It will be a bit more stressful because I'll have some extra FSU/internship-related work to complete in addition to my work responsibilities. The biggest stressor for me, however, is that Maddy and Tommy will be in full-time daycare. *tear* Actually, Maddy, I am good with. She'll be at a church-based preschool. I think she will LOVE being there and getting to meet other kids and do pre-academic stuff. Tommy is what has me rattled. I'm just not ready!!! Part of it is that we have to now transition him to bottle-feeding after working so hard at nursing these past several months. Given my dual-role with work/internship, I don't think I'll be able to pump during the day, so we'll also be getting him used to formula over the next few weeks...he had his first bottle since he was a teeny-tiny baby (we had to supplement early on to help with jaundice) today, and it was bittersweet. I'm glad that he took it though. I'd given him a couple bottles of mommy milk earlier in the week and had no problem w/ the bottle...he just hasn't liked the taste of the formula in past bottle attempts and wouldn't take it. So, anyways, it's just a tough transition for me on a few levels. I'm sure we will get into a routine, but right now it all seems daunting. Oh, and Tommy will be at a different place than Maddy. The church Maddy is at only has a half-day program for babies under 2, so that kinda killed that option. Tommy will be at a in-home daycare that a friend of mine sends her little guy to as well. There are a total of 6 kiddos, so its nice and small. Having them at two different places will make logistics a bit interesting, but we're thinking that Lance will drop off Maddy and I'll do Tommy in the morning based on location. I'll probably do pick up for both pending what rotation he's on. It will be interesting for sure!
Given all these upcoming changes, I have really been savoring and cherishing the days as of late. We have been doing all sorts of fun things--play dates, parks, window shopping, and more. I will miss doing these things with them. The thing I am most bummed about is that I might miss some of Tommy's upcoming milestones. :o( Lance and I keep telling him he needs to start crawling and such in the next few weeks...maybe he'll listen! :) At least I'll be in the schools--much better work schedule than it could otherwise be! I'll work this year and then we'll be moving.
So, those are the big things going on and coming up...I'll keep you posted on how things go.




No comments:
Post a Comment